TOWN OF WATSON LAKE
Position Title: Municipal Clerk/Executive Assistant
Supervisor: Chief Administrative Officer
Summary of Position:
As part of the Executive Team, reporting to the CAO, this position executes the statutory duties of Clerk under the Municipal Act and provides a wide range of confidential support services to the Mayor, Council and CAO. This position also manages the human resource functions of the municipality.
• Act as the Executive Assistant to the Chief Administrative Officer. Provides confidential and clerical administrative support services to the Mayor, Council & CAO such as but not limited to drafting letters, correspondence, policies & procedures, and provide Human Resource Services for the Town of Watson Lake.
• Perform the Council & CAO secretariat functions which includes attending meetings to record and follow up with preparation of minutes, action items, etc. Assist with the development and implementation of policies and procedures as required. Carry out Municipal election duties as per the Yukon Municipal Act. Maintain Corporate records and access to information and Protection of Privacy Act.
• Fill the role of Human Resources Officer by maintaining corporate personnel files and records, input to bargaining strategies, handle grievance files, provide Collective Agreement interpretations to managers. Interview for job competitions and recruitment actions.
• Respond to Human Resource inquiries regarding policies, and procedures and the Collective Agreement.
• Report all public concerns, complaints and information of note to CAO as necessary and refer to appropriate departments.
• Process all requests for Zoning, OCP and bylaw changes.
• Prepare and advertise all public notices as requested by departments.
• Perform other related duties as directed by the CAO and Finance Officer.
Will work a 35 hour week. Must be willing to work flexible hours including evenings.
• Minimum Grade 12 graduate with post-secondary coursework or experience in Administration or related field; or 2 years’ experience in Government Administration and Programs.
• Experience in computer programs such as Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel is a requirement.
• Ability to deal and communicate effectively with staff and the public, both oral and written.
• Office experience an asset
• Discretion, tact, compassion and good judgement
• Experience in writing funding proposals
• Combination of experience and education will be considered.
Knowledge and Experience
• Three years of related experience in a municipal or government environment
• Knowledge of regulatory bylaws, legislation, policies, and procedures respecting planning and development as well as knowledge of the Town of Watson Lake’s programs, By-Laws, Policies and Procedures.
• Knowledge of the Yukon Municipal Act.
• Thorough knowledge of Council/Committee rules, procedures, processes and protocols; applicable legislation related to municipal government
• Strong knowledge of human resources practices and policies; exposure to a unionized work environment, including a knowledge of collective agreement interpretations, grievance handling, recruitment and interview techniques.
• Clear understanding of labour and employment legislation, Workers Compensation legislation, Human Rights legislation, as they relate to the human resources function of the municipality.
This position is responsible for executing the statutory duties of Clerk under the Municipal Act, as well as for performing the duties of Human Resources Officer. The position has a responsibility to Council and the corporation, through the guidance and supervision of the Chief Administrative Officer.
Be accountable to and take instruction from the Chief Administrative Officer and notify the Chief Administrative Officer of any concerns.
The incumbent is expected to work with considerable independence. The goals and objectives of the position are established by the CAO.
Candidates' applications should clearly demonstrate their related qualifications for the position, since selection will be based on the information provided.
We appreciate the interest of all those responding, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Salary: Dependent upon experience
Please email your resume to email@example.com or drop off at the Town Office by 4:00 pm on Friday June 11th, 2021.